Friday 4 January 2013

DIY Glitter-ific Heels!

I am a sucker for glitter.  I love it! I just wish it wasn't like the herpes of the craft world.  Enter Mod Podge!   I have been seeing posts all over Pinterest for different DIY glitter heels tutorials, so I figured it was about time I try it.  I must warn you now, once you attempt it, you will want to glitterify everything!!

Start with a basic pair of heels (I got these babies at Value Village for $3.99)


I bought a big bottle of Martha Stewart glitter (because that is the only brand and size I found the color I had in mind) and a small bottle of a metallic acrylic paint in a matching color.  I started by painting the parts that I didn't want glittered in the metallic paint.  (I don't know about you, but I didn't want gritty glitter under my toesies!)  I also painted around any edges I thought would be hard to get glitter on (like the toe opening).


I really liked the idea of keeping the sole black as well as the little bow on the top, so I masked it all off with green painter's tape.



Then came the fun part!! Mod Podge and Glitter!!!  Spread a generous coat of mod podge on a small area. (If you work on too large of an area at one time, it will dry before you get glitter on it) Over some sort of container for containing your mess, sprinkle a whack of glitter over the mod podge then shake off the excess. (gently...you don't want this in your nostrils. Trust me.) I started with just a heel on one to make sure this was going to go well before I committed further.  I liked it, so I continued.





Wait about half an hour, then slather on a generous (but not drippy) coating of Mod Podge over top of everything you just put glitter on.  This will seal it in.  I used a Matte finish Mod Podge, just because that is what I had on hand, but I imagine you could use others.



Very important last step before you walk away for the night:
Take all the tape off about half an hour after your final coat of Mod Podge or else you will glue that stuff on there right along with the glitter!! I have forgotten on other projects (thankfully not this one) and very much regretted it later on!

Finally, enjoy your finished product!!  I will note though, that the shoes are a lot stiffer now and while these fit perfectly before I glittered them, they fit pretty tightly now since there isn't as much give to them.  My SIL might be getting a late Christmas gift... haha!







No comments:

Post a Comment