Wednesday 2 May 2012

Cheeseburger Egg Rolls

Ever wonder how Asian restaurants who claim to handroll their egg or spring rolls manage to keep up to demand?  It never really crossed my mind until a few weeks ago when I decided to experiment with some egg roll wrappers.  Now I had seen  Rachael Ray make cheeseburger egg rolls so naturally I assumed I could successfully replicate them.  After my first attempt I learned 2 things.  1- They tasted awesome, and 2- my egg rolls looked nothing like the ones she made and resembled square pouches more than rolls.  That being said, I had to try again and again and again.  Finally got it! 
Here's how I did it:

1- Cook up your filling.  I didn't take a picture this time, mine was just a pot of ground beef with taco seasoning in it this time.  I have made it a few different ways, sometimes cutting in some veggies or adding in mushroom soup. This is the place to get creative




2 - Lay out an egg roll wrapper and using a pastry brush dipped in water, moisten 2 sides.  This will help the roll stay together once you roll it up.





3- Put just a pinch or two of grated cheese of your choice in the center of the wrapper



4 - I used a scooper to measure out the amount of meat mixture I wanted inside.  Use your judgement on how much you want in there.





5 - Roll up like an egg roll tucking ends in as best you can. Place on a greased rack on top of a baking sheet.  Make sure the side the cheese is on is ON TOP.  If you leave the cheese side down you will end up with a big goopy mess under the rack and the bottoms will fall out of your Cheeseburger Egg Rolls.  (yep I know that from experience)  The more you roll up the better they look. Practice makes perfect!



6 - Brush with an egg wash.  Place baking sheet in pre-heated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until edges start to crisp up.  Be careful not to crisp them up too much or they are hard to eat!



Voila!  Cheeseburger Egg Rolls!  Each one is only 110 Calories, 5.3 grams of fat and 4.3 grams of carbs.  (according to recipe information plugged into My Fitness Pal) Not too shabby!


No comments:

Post a Comment